Side-lined in Florida: Day One

I’m breaking up our trip into two posts- there were just too many photos to squeeze into one!

I’m back at home in Maryland after being in Florida since Friday night. In short, the weekend did not turn out how I expected at all because of one major factor: I was sick as a dog.

Let me preface all of this by saying that I very rarely get sick. In fact, I cant even remember the last time I was sick- it’s been at least two years, and even then, it was something that probably went away in a day or two.
I started feeling crummy last Thursday night. I noticed that my throat was a little sore, and hoped that it would just go away. But, instead of going away, it turned into a full-fledged cold. I woke up Saturday morning at my in-laws house in Florida feeling terrible-stuffy nose, headache, sore throat… the works.
All of the sudden, our plans of boating, exploring and hiking had to be put on the back burner. This probably won’t surprise you, but I do not like to slow down. I am constantly on the go and can not stand the thought of sitting around inside when it’s nice out. But this time, I simply had no choice, as I had no energy left- my tank was empty.Greg and I both agree that things like this happen for a reason. I’ve been going full force for the last few months, working out like a machine, and not taking time to just rest. I guess it’s what my body needed, and I had to just give in.
I felt horrible for not being able to do any of the fun things that my mother-in-law, Sandy, and I had talked about. But everyone else was so great, and didn’t seem bothered that my ability to do much activity would be limited. I guess the most important thing is that we got to spend quality time with Sandy and Bob(Greg’s stepdad), because we don’t get to do that very often. Instead of just feeling sorry for myself, I tried to make the best of it.

For breakfast on Saturday, Bob picked oranges off the tree in the backyard and treated us to fresh-squeezed orange juice! I made oatmeal for me and Sandy and the guys had bacon and eggs.

And we all ate our share of orange slices (especially me!)

Even though I’ve been sick, my appetite certainly hasn’t gone away (in fact, it seems bigger than ever)!

We were able to get out for a bit both days. On Saturday, we visited a hydroponic farm that Sandy has told me all about. It was awesome! The whole operation was super impressive. And can I tell you how excited I was that tomatoes and strawberries were in season?!We picked lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries. Due to the chilly temps overnight, the plants were covered to be protected from frost.

I would love to see what the farm looks like when everything was uncovered! Guess we’ll just have to come back. On our way out, the farmer showed up some baby micro-greens that had just started to sprout.

So cool!

On the way back home, we pulled over to the side of the road to see if we could spot some manatees swimming under the bridge. We saw a ton of them!

And the photo does no justice- they were huge! We had actually planned to swim with the manatees this weekend, but obviously that will have to be saved for a future trip. Still, it was really cool to see so many of them up close.

After we got home, Greg and I picked some oranges and kumquats from the backyard.

It is such a strange concept to me to be able to just pick citrus fruit right off the tree and eat it! I can’t remember if I had ever had a kumquat before this weekend, but I ate least a dozen. I am in love with these little fruits- especially since you can eat the skin! I need to figure out a way to grow my own kumquat tree.

Sandy and Bob had invited some of their friends (three couples) over for dinner that night to celebrate a few birthdays (Sandy’s and their friend John). I was feeling a little nervous about being around so many people when I was sick, but they actually all made me feel so much better! They were definitely a nutty group- and half of the guests were in their 80s. You would never know it, given their level of energy!
Sandy cooked her famous Grouper (which was caught by Bob!).

I put together a salad using lettuce and other vegetables that we got from the hydroponic farm. We also had some roasted asparagus and bread.

The food was sooooo delicious! And the company was the best. The guys were so hilarious – playing off each other and telling dirty jokes. They kept asking if they were making me feel uncomfortable, to which I replied “no.” And with that they said “guess we have to try a little bit harder then!”

Part of the motley crew (and the women that married them):

Bob told fishing stories:

I adored Elsie and Gus. They are 82 and 88 and are full of energy and witty as ever. And SO cute! Gus even still rides his bicycle every day- at 88 years old!

John got to wear special birthday glasses before blowing out the candles on his cake:

We had lemon chiffon pie (made by Elsie) and a store-bought chocolate birthday cake. Both were delicious and left me in a sugar coma.

After dinner, we watched a lot of football. I lasted until sometime in the second quarter of the Patriots game before having to turn in. Even though I didn’t do much physical activity, I was EXHAUSTED. And you know what? It was a pretty good day.

Stay tuned for part 2-coming right up!


5 Comments on “Side-lined in Florida: Day One”

  1. Lee says:

    That sucks that you were sick but it sounds like you had a good time anyway. I’m jealous that you got to see manatees; i’ve always loved them.

  2. Tiffany says:

    Um, I want to hang with those folks–they look like fun! Thats so cool that they caught the fish for dinner and used things that they have on hand along with that farm, it’s so clean and thats nice that you can pick stuff there. Being sick on vacation totally sucks but at least you were staying with family so you werent miserable in some random hotel room. Hope you are geeling better!

  3. I’m sorry you were sick! But it looks like you had a fun time 🙂 I love talking with the older generations, they have witnessed so much history.

    I’d love to be able to pick my own oranges.

  4. I’m so sorry that you were sick 😦

    The farm is amazing…. you must have been in heaven!

I love hearing your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment. :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s