Still side-lined in Florida (Day 2)

This is continued from Day 1

On Sunday morning, I woke up still feeling lousy. But, thanks to Tylenol PM I had actually managed to get a few hours of sleep!

Sunday was also Sandy’s birthday! We had a lazy morning- starting out with a nice breakfast (oatmeal with fresh strawberries from the day before for me!). And of course, more orange juice and slices (I guzzled my juice down way before I could grab my camera).

Since our plans to go out on the boat were squashed due to my lame sickness, we headed out for a scenic drive. We also stopped by a fish market to pick up stone crab claws for lunch!
Some scenery:

We got back home in time to watch the (big) football game at 1:00 and had lunch during the second quarter. I made a roasted eggplant and tomato salad (all from the farm!) to go along with the crabs.

Not bad for football food!

It ended up working out that we had to stay in, because we got to see my Ravens win! Even though I still felt horrible physically, that Ravens win gave me a huge boost. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire game (and in a house of Patriots fans that did not want to see Baltimore win!). I’m SO excited that my team is playing Greg’s next week: it will be a week full of smack-talking in the Martin household!

After the game was over, we walked up the street to Gus and Elsie’s house. Elsie has grapefruit, tangerine, orange, and kumquat trees (just to name a few!) and wanted to give us some citrus to take home.
Her backyard was like a magical forest full of fruit trees. ๐Ÿ™‚

We were sent off with a bag full of grapefruit and tangerines. She also gave us some kumquats – the variety she grows is different from Sandy’s kumquats. Hers were more tart (Sandy’s are sweet) and a little bit juicier. Both varieties are awesome!
Elsie also had a limequat bush! There weren’t many that had grown, but she gave us one to taste.

Just like a lime!

Later on that night, we took Sandy out for dinner. I didn’t take any photos, but it was a nice time, and they even brought the birthday girl a special piece of coconut cake that she was kind enough to share with the table.

It was a nice, low-key evening (and unfortunately, I had no energy left to take pictures).

I woke up Monday morning feeling the tiniest bit better, but nowhere near normal. I still feel like someone has sucked all of the energy out of me, but at least my head wasn’t pounding anymore.

When we got to the airport, I got some plain “perfect” oatmeal from Starbucks and added a banana and some nuts (instead of the toppings they provide) that I had in my bag, along with a squeeze of Sunflower butter. I also had a cup of Starbucks new “blonde roast,” which is their lighter roast coffee. The coffee is pretty good, but I think that calling the oatmeal “perfect” is a bit of a stretch:

Perfect or not, it was definitely a preferred option over most airport breakfast fare! Quite a difference from what we dined on while waiting for our flight Friday out of Baltimore:

Airport beers really are the best…
Since we had so much citrus to take home, Sandy gave us a bag for it to carry-on. We kept it under the seat during the flight for easy access.

I snacked on a few kumquats while pounding out this and the previous blog posts on my iPad! It definitely made the flight go faster!

And let me tell you something- flying when have a head cold is not a comfortable experience. The pressure builds up in your head and ears much more than normal- I thought my head was going to explode! I was so glad when we finally saw the familiar skyline:

Helloooooo, Baltimore!

Even though the trip didn’t go as planned, it was still really nice to spend some time with Greg’s family and friends. It sucks enough to be sick when you’re at home- but it’s even more difficult when you’re at someone else’s house. My in-laws were great about making me feel as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. I had to keep in mind that this trip wasn’t “all about me,” and I know it meant the world to Sandy that she got to spend time with us- especially on her birthday. Things happen sometimes that you have no control over, and you have to make the best of it.

We will see how this cold progresses this week. I haven’t worked out since Friday (when I did my Bodypump assessment), which is insane for me. I haven’t taken more than a day off from working out in… I don’t even know how long! I got someone to cover my spin class tomorrow morning, because I just need to suck it up and get better. Even though I’m a bit antsy about not being able to exercise, I’m not going to push it- I need to wait until my body is well. Being sick makes me appreciate my health and fitness even more. So for now, it’s all about rest and recovery, and looking forward to getting back into my routine when I’m ready!

Have you ever been sick while on vacation? Or had things turn out completely differently than you planned?


4 Comments on “Still side-lined in Florida (Day 2)”

  1. Corrie Anne says:

    I hope you feel better soon so you can just enjoy the rest of your trip! That’s the worst. Looks like you are still geting some good food anyways. ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. Gil says:

    Such bad timing! At least there were still plenty of alternative activities and you had some time to rest up…
    I got water sickness in China MANY times, but the worst was on vacation in Qingdao–it was so sad, because not only is Qingdao the brewery capital of China (home to Tsingtao…the city was largely built by Germans in the1800’s and hence the beer) but it’s also a coastal city with tons of fresh seafood. I absolutely hated not being able to fully enjoy it!!

  3. Sara R. says:

    I was worried about this…it sounds like you got what I had! I probably passed it to you when we shared dessert ๐Ÿ˜ฆ All those citrus fruits look amazing though, hopefully the vitamin C will help you feel better!

  4. I hope you feel better soon! I’d definitely recommend resting and allowing your body to actually get better ๐Ÿ™‚ You’ll get back to the gym soon!!

    Flying while sick is awful ๐Ÿ˜ฆ but ipads make things better!

I love hearing your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment. :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s