The story of us (Part 1)

Since I don’t really have a lot of food + fitness related things going on right now, I thought I would write a post about the history of my relationship with my husband Greg. Luckily I carried my camera with me everywhere I went back then, so I have photos of everything.

Rewind to the year 2007…

I was in my second year of teaching (this was back when I taught darkroom photography) and renting a townhouse in Frederick with my friend Jamie. I was single- and working on mending a broken heart. I had gone through one of those traumatic break-ups the year before- the kind where you feel blind-sided and the other person just decides one day to end the relationship with no warning. That break-up forever changed the way that I view relationships, and I was scared of getting hurt again. So, in the meantime, I went on a bunch of dates- tons of dates in fact, from all different sources. I let friends set me up, used, and even went out with a few guys that I had known in college and reunited with via MySpace. I was having a lot of fun and always came back with great stories from the weekend to share with my co-workers. I didn’t go on many second dates, and still had my guard up.

In June, the school year ended and something in my attitude changed. I stopped seeking out dates and quit my account. I figured that I would just leave things to chance, and if it was meant to be, I’d meet someone.

On a Friday night in late June (June 29th to be exact), I went out with a couple of girlfriends to watch an outdoor concert.

Here are some of us that night:

Little did I know I'd be meeting my future husband in a few hours...

Afterwards, a few of us headed to a local bar downtown called Firestones. Firestones had been my regular weekend hangout because it had a good crowd and great bartenders. My friends and I sat at the bar, laughing and having some drinks, and were approached by a guy (we’ll just call him “Guy”)Β  that was with two other guys. I can’t remember what he said to me- some lame pick-up line- and I kind of brushed him off. Then the guy approached me again and said something that caught my attention- something funny. So, I started talking to him. And then his friends started talking to my friends. Pretty soon we were all talking and laughing together, and a few other people joined in on the conversation.

A little while later, after a few more drinks, someone came up next to me at the bar. (That someone was Greg.) I apparently said something to him like “Who are you?” to which he responded “I’m just trying to get a drink.” And, I didn’t pay him any attention other than that. Guy suggested that we all go back to his place to hang out, which was very close by, so we did just that. The whole group of us hung out on Guy’s patio and had a great time until the wee hours of the morning. Greg was there too- but I really didn’t talk to him much. And honestly, I really didn’t give him a second look. I just remember that he was dressed more formally, as he had just come back from a meeting in New York that day. Guy was after my attention, and I mostly talked to him. He asked me if I was free on Sunday and we made plans for a date.

On Sunday, Guy took me out on a date on his boat. We sailed around the Chesapeake bay and stopped at a little dive bar for beer and crabs. It was a pretty perfect date for this Maryland girl. Afterwards, we went back to Frederick and watched an outdoor concert at Baker Park. We were sitting in the park, and Greg and another friend of his happened to walk by and stopped and said hello to us. And this time, I did notice Greg. He was dressed a lot more casually- wearing a t-shirt and cargo shorts and a Red Sox hat. I thought he looked really cute- much cuter than I remembered from the first night. We talked with them for a bit, and then Guy took me home. There may have been a casual kiss at the end of the date- I really don’t remember.

And then I didn’t hear from him again- until the following Friday. By that point, I had kind of put him out of my mind, because I was in no mood to deal with any game.

He called me up Friday afternoon and asked me to go out to dinner that night. I said yes (I had nothing better to do), so we got dinner downtown, and then of course, headed to Firestones. And at Firestones, there was Greg, along with the other guys that I had met the previous weekend. I talked with them, and honestly, didn’t want to leave. They were a lot of fun and so nice! I eventually did leave with Guy, and things kind of fizzled out. And what I figured out later, is that he was pretty much your typical player. No thanks.

(Funny enough, I have a photo of me and Tony (one of the guys from that group) from that night. We did carbombs together. Yes, that is one of many talents.)

The next day, I was at a family picnic and got a phone call from an unknown number. It was a guy named Tony that was from the “Firestones” group. He said that a bunch of them were getting together for dinner downtown that night and asked me if I wanted to go. I said yes, and met up with them at Acacia in the bar area. There was an empty seat next to Greg, so I sat down and started talking with him. We really hit it off, and ended up sitting next to each other at dinner and talking the whole night. We exchanged numbers, but made no plans to go out or meet up after that night, because we figured we’d run into each other anyway.

This photo was taken that night:

(Greg hates this picture, but I love it- because it’s the first one that was ever taken of us together- and we were just friends at this point.)

That night I went home thinking about Greg. About how nice he was and how I got little butterflies in my tummy when I thought of him.

I was out shopping the next day, and on a whim, called him up to see if he wanted to check out the outdoor concert in the park that night. He said yes, and we made plans to meet up at Brewer’s Alley downtown and would walk over to the park together. I remember that I put little effort into my appearance that night and was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. When I saw Greg, the first thing he said to me was “you look great!” That really meant something to me, because on both dates with Guy, I spent about an hour getting ready, and he didn’t give me a single compliment.

We watched the concert together and hung out for a bit afterwards, and parted ways with a hug at the end of the night.

The next day, Greg called me up and asked me to go on a date. We made plans for the following Thursday, which included dinner and a movie. He picked me up and took me to Cacique and then we went to see Ratatouille. At the end of the night, he dropped me off and we had our first kiss outside of my front door.

After that night, we were inseparable.

I went to the beach with my mom a week later, and had a really good time, but thought about Greg constantly. We talked every day while I was gone (which was only about 4 days!) and as soon as I got home, he came over and picked me up to go see a baseball game.

It sounds crazy, but in just a few weeks, I was pretty much living at his place. He had a townhouse all to himself that was about 10 minutes away from where I lived. I would visit my house every now and then to get clothes, but I was sleeping there every night.

A big group of us traveled to Boston in August and I met Greg’s dad while we were there.

I saw my first Red Sox game at Fenway Park, which spawned my love for that team.

We had a blast on that trip, even though I’m sure a few brain cells were definitely killed from the amount of Sam Adams that was consumed (not just at the brewery, but everywhere in the city of Boston).

In September, we flew down to Florida and stayed in the Keys with Greg’s mom and stepdad in a timeshare that they had. That was an awesome trip, too- and I am dying to go back to Key West!

That December, my lease ended, and I moved in with Greg. We had to both make a few adjustments and compromises, as you do when you live with anyone, but it all worth it. We were so in love, and really- we had become best friends. Though we had moved in together very quickly, neither of us were in a rush to get married, and we were happy with where we were at.

Greg ignited my love for all things outdoors and introduced me to all kinds of local hiking trails

and taught me how to mountain bike (though I definitely don’t claim to be very good at it…)

and supported me through training for (and running) my first half marathon in 2008.

Weekends were filled with fun outdoor activities, cooking great healthy meals, and getting together with friends. We had a lot of fun.

It wasn’t until a few years later that I started getting the itch

[to be continued…]

12 Comments on “The story of us (Part 1)”

  1. Gil says:

    Its like Modern Love! I am addicted to relationship stories, so fun. Also, I really like that hair style you have going on.

  2. Lee says:

    Of course I met Jason in the summer of 2007 too!

  3. Awwwwww, that is such a sweet story!! When you know I guess you know πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to read the rest!

  4. SUCH a cute story!! I LOVE it πŸ™‚

  5. Corrie Anne says:

    I love it! I love that you have pictures from the first night you met. That’s so awesome. I was thinking of writing up something similar in Feb for Valentine’s. πŸ™‚

  6. damn girl. all these dudes hitting you up left and right…hahah kidding. Scandalous that you ended up with Guy’s friend!! At least you got the good one…honestly…I hate the phrase “it always happens when you aren’t looking” but it’s SO TRUE!

  7. Wow, that is really sweet. I love that you have a picture of one of your first evenings out, when you were just friends. It seems your relationship progressed in a great manner. Love all the details.

  8. Dang, I didn’t want it to be over!!! This is such a sweet story!!!!

  9. Michelle says:

    Love it! I enjoyed reading this. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the story. πŸ™‚

  10. Tiffany says:

    This just made me smile, thats all πŸ™‚

  11. Amber Nagle says:

    Hey I know that Tony guy… he must have hung out at Firestone’s alot because I met him there and 3 years later married him : ) Great Story Lauren

  12. […] thought it would be appropriate to finally continue the post I started a few weeks ago about how Greg and I became “Greg and […]

I love hearing your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment. :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s